Mijbil The Otter
1 / 30
When I casually mentioned this to a friend, he as casually replied that I had better get one in the Tigris marshes, for there they were as common as mosquitoes, and were often tamed by the Arabs. We were going to Basra to the Consulate-General to collect and answer our mail from Europe. At the Consulate-General we found that my friend's mail had arrived but that mine had not.
a. What was 'they'?
b. What was the friend’s mail about?
c. Could he get his otter?
2 / 30
Mijbil, as I called the otter, was, in fact, of a race previously unknown to science, and was at length christened by zoologists Lutrogale Perspicillata Maxwelli, or Maxwell's otter. For the first twenty- four hours Mijbil was neither hostile nor friendly; he was simply aloof and indifferent, choosing to sleep on the floor as far from my bed as possible.
a. Who was Mijbil?
b. How did the otter behave for the first twenty-four hours?
c. How did he behave for the first twenty four hours?
3 / 30
I made a body-belt for him and took him on a lead to the bathroom, where for half an hour he went wild with joy in the water, plunging and rolling in it, shooting up and down the length of the bathtub underwater, and making enough slosh and splash for a hippo. This, I was to learn, is a characteristic of otters.
a. What is the peculiar character of the otter is to play with water.
b. What did the otter do inside the bathroom?
c. Find the exact word from the extract which means 'moving irregularly with splash sound'.
4 / 30
Very soon Mij would follow me without a lead and come to me when I called his name. He spent most of his time in play. He spent hours shuffling a rubber ball round the room like a four-footed soccer player using all four feet to dribble the ball, and he could also throw it, with a powerful flick of the neck, to a surprising height and distance.
a. What was the lead?
b. How did he spend his time?
c. Give another word for “a quick, light movement”
5 / 30
The British airline to London would not fly animals, so I booked a flight to Paris on another airline, and from there to London. The airline insisted that Mij should be packed into a box not more than eighteen inches square, to be carried on the floor at my feet.
a. Where was Mij being taken?
b. How was Mij being taken?
c. Why was transporting Mijbil a dread?
6 / 30
When I returned, there was an appalling spectacle. There was complete silence from the box, but from its air holes and chinks around the lid, blood had trickled and dried. I whipped off the lock and tore open the lid, and Mijbil, exhausted and blood spattered, whimpered and caught at my leg.
a. What was the appalling spectacle?
b. What was the condition of the box when the narrator returned?
c. What did the author do?
7 / 30
I sat in the back of the car with the box beside me as the driver tore through the streets of Basra like a ricochetting bullet. The aircraft was waiting to take off; I was rushed through to it by infuriated officials. Luckily, the seat booked for me was at the extreme front. I covered the floor around my feet with newspapers, rang for the air hostess, and gave her a parcel of fish (for Mijbil) to keep in a cool place. I took her into my confidence about the events of the last half hour.
a. Why were the airport officials infuriated?
b. How did the narrator take the airhostess in his confidence?
c. Give another word for “very angry”
8 / 30
What 'experiment' did Maxwell think Camusfearna would be suitable for?
9 / 30
Why does he go to Basra? How long does he wait there, and why?
10 / 30
How does he get the otter? Does he like it? Pick out the words that tell you this.
11 / 30
Why was the otter named 'Maxwell's otter'?
12 / 30
Tick the right answer. In the beginning, the otter was
(i) aloof and indifferent (ii) friendly (iii) hostile
13 / 30
What happened when Maxwell took Mijbil to the bathroom? What did it do two days after that?
14 / 30
How was Mijbil transported to England?
15 / 30
What did Mij do to the box?
16 / 30
Why did Maxwell put the otter back in the box? How do you think he felt when he did this?
17 / 30
Why does Maxwell say the airhostess was "the very queen of her kind"?
18 / 30
What happened when the box was opened?
19 / 30
What game had Mijbil invented?
20 / 30
What are 'compulsive habits'? What does Maxwell say are the compulsive habits of (i] school children [ii] Mijbil?
21 / 30
What group of animals do otters belong to?
22 / 30
What guesses did the Londoners make about what Mijbil was?
23 / 30
What things does Mijbil do which tell you that he is an intelligent, friendly and fun-loving animal who needs love?
24 / 30
What are some of the things we come to know about otters from this text?
25 / 30
Why is Mij's species now known to the world as Maxwell's otter?
26 / 30
How was Mij to be transported to England?
27 / 30
What did the otter look like?
28 / 30
How did the otter behave in the first few days with the author?
29 / 30
What, according to the writer, is the' real play' of the otter?
30 / 30
How did Mij spend his time?
Mijbil The Otter
Search for lessons, videos, chapters, notes, articles, robots, and much more...
Searching all of human history for ""
What's it about?
The Class 10 English CBSE Language and Literature - The Complete A-Z Course is a fully-featured course for students of Class 10 English NCERT Language & Literature and includes Footprints Without Feet, First Flight, grammar, reading and writing. It includes hundreds of animated videos , detailed and original questions and answers, hundreds of HOTS questions along with their answers, and thousands of practice questions. And it doesn’t just cover literature, we cover reading, writing, and grammar too, so you never lag behind.
This course is regularly updated, because these are fickle times we live in. This course will always stay up to date with the CBSE curriculum and is even now in sync with it. We’ve updated our course to include thorough examinations of discursive passages, case-based passages, and the newly added value-based questions.
Here’s all that’s included in this course:
- Literature – All chapters from Footprints without Feet & First Flight.
- Grammar – All grammar topics prescribed by the latest CBSE syllabus.
- Reading – Includes in-depth explanations of both discursive and case-based passages.
- Writing - Ready-to-use templates for all writing topics including applications, letters, initiations,
What’s special about this course?
- The entire chapter is explained line-by-line with the help of whiteboard animations, characters, and videos, because if we want to hold your attention, it’s got to be more interesting than the book, and we promise you, it is.
- We’ve split the videos into bite-sized snippets so it’s easier for you to stay attentive for longer and understand and grasp the content explained better.
- The chapter has been brought to life by our founder, Meenu Sethi, who’s been educating for more than three decades, and has been applauded for her voice on YouTube (barring the creepy comments). She has a knack for explaining even the toughest of lines in the simplest of words, turning these chapter into bite-sized pieces of cake.
- Once you’ve watched and understood the chapter, you can then move on to these practice quizzes to test your understanding.
- The results are presented instantaneously, along with where you went wrong and what were the correct answer.
- Each lesson is accompanied by a practice quiz, so if you’ve just watched a 2-minute video, you can then jump on to the quiz and check if you’ve really understood the topic or did you space out.
- These quizzes have multiple choice questions, multiple answer questions, and fill in the blanks.
Summaries & Reading Materials
- In a hurry? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
- If you just want to understand the concept or brush up on your syllabus, these reading materials will be your best friend.
- All of the materials have been curated and proof-read, so they are all high-quality, well explained pieces to supplement your learning journey.
Questions & Answers
- All the literature chapters come with original and extremely thorough questions and answers.
- These include exercises present in the original books along with a ton of brand-new questions.
- These too have been split up for easy consumption, so after you’ve watched the video, attempted the quiz, and gone through the reading materials, you can go through these questions and answers to fully absorb the chapter.
- These are like plug-and-play hardware.
- All the topics in writing sections: formal and informal letters, applications, invitations can be hard to write from scratch every time, so we include easy-to-memorise templates crafted just for you.
- Just put in the words related to the topic and you have a letter or an application ready to go.
What if something’s missing?
We continuously strive to update our course as and when the curriculum is updated, but there might be times when we lag behind. With our “Request for Content” feature, you can now request for any missing or additional content right within your portal, and it’ll be delivered to your dashboard promptly.
I have a problem. Who can I contact?
What should I know before joining this course?
There are no pre-requisites for this course, but you should be able to read English. If this course covers your curriculum, you can join it even if you’ve never studied it before.
Who is this course for?
Every student of class 12 who studies English. This course is meant to take you from zero to hundred, so no matter where you are on your journey, whether you’re just starting or are an experienced learner, this course will help you build your knowledge and learn better and smarter.
Arjun AnandApr 7, 2021
Itâ€™s a new and interesting experience for me. By watching the videos I understand the chapters really well. And the question answer helps me to understand the chapter in an even betteArjun Anand - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Raghav GuptaApr 7, 2021
I had never heard of anything being explained so interestingly. I am not very fond of sitting and studying for long hours but the visuals in videos kept me glued. Thanks English chatterbox.Raghav Gupta - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Umang JainApr 7, 2021
# Website helps me if i miss a class # It is useful as i can open it at any place and anytime. # It is convenient to use.Umang Jain - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Jayaditaya LuthraApr 7, 2021
I found Meenu Sethi's English Chatterbox website really helpful because whenever I miss a class I see Videos on it and whenever i don't understand a poem I see it because mam translates theJayaditaya Luthra - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Vansh NarulaApr 7, 2021
I shall assert that this website is a perfect path which leads to success in the subject of English. I can confidently suggest this website to anyone if he/she wVansh Narula - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Abhinav GuptaApr 7, 2021
I have been using the website for quite sometime. I have seen many videos on the website. They are quite useful to us. If incase the class couldnÍ›t be takenAbhinav Gupta - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Adarsh SomaniApr 7, 2021
The website is very useful as in many schools novel is assigned as homework. You can learn the chapter and acquire knowledge from it. In case if I miss out any of the class I can watch on itAdarsh Somani - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Tia RaizadaApr 7, 2021
It is a website which has helped me a lot. The translations in Hindi help me understand the chapters better. All the topics in Literature and novel are explained in detail. To add to it theTia Raizada - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Arshia MehtaApr 7, 2021
This Website is very engaging and motivating. I feel glad to be a part of this. It helps you to improve your grammar and work on your literature part. This makes writing section very interesArshia Mehta - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Sarthak KapoorApr 7, 2021
It is really convenient. It could be accessed anywhere and can be used to achieve your desired result. The videos are really easy to understand as it is in Hindi and is also accompanied witSarthak Kapoor - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Sahaj GargApr 7, 2021
The videos on the website do not help instill a basic understanding of literature, novel and grammar topic but even helps to focus on some small and intricate details which are of high signiSahaj Garg - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Krishna ChawlaApr 7, 2021
1) The website is very useful 2) The language is simple and understandable. 3) It is very interesting to see and learn. 4) I really love to listen all the chapters here. 5) Even the graphicsKrishna Chawla - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Jashan SinghApr 7, 2021
I think this website is the best way for revising all the chapters and topics of grammar. It could help those students who are not able to learn and understand some topics in their class, caJashan Singh - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Muskan GuptaApr 7, 2021
English Chatterbox is quite useful as it helps to understand the whole content easily. The translation and the pictures related to the content. It gives idea to the children to visualize whaMuskan Gupta - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Abhishek SethiApr 7, 2021
The website helped me to learn the chapters and novel easily. It also improved my grammar which is used to be wrong most of the time. It helped me to understand anything in English which I wAbhishek Sethi - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?