Saturday, 20 June 1942 - The Magic Carpet - Class 8 - English
Renews every month. Cancel anytime
Fill in the blanks using these words or expressions in their correct forms:
few and far between
1. Anne’s ___________ of admires used a broken pocket mirror to catch a glimpse of her in the
classroom. (a large group of people)
2. After May 1940, with the war and the surrender, the good times were ___________. (not
very many or happening after long intervals of time)
3. Jews were required to ___________ their bicycles. (hand over something to the authorities)
4. Margot went to Holland in December, and I followed in February, when I was ___________
down on the table as a birthday present for Margot. (put down heavily or carelessly)
5. First there was the war, then the ___________. (the act of accepting defeat or giving up)
6. The family was ___________ in 1944 and taken to a concentration camp. (arrested)
7. Anne’s uncles fled Germany, finding ___________ in North America. (safety, shelter)
8. Anne started writing her diary with a solemn ___________ (a message at the beginning of a
9. Anne didn’t want to ___________ facts in her diary the way most people did. (Write quickly)
1. Anne’s throng of admirers used a broken pocket mirror to catch a glimpse of her in the classroom.
2. After May 1940, with the war and the surrender, the good times were few and far between.
3. Jews were required to turn in their bicycles.
4. Margot went to Holland in December, and I followed in February, when I was plonked down on the table as a birthday present for Margot.
5. First there was the war, then the capitulation.
6. The family was apprehended in 1944 and taken to a concentration camp.
7. Anne’s uncles fled Germany, finding refuge in North America.
8. Anne started writing her diary with a solemn dedication.
9. Anne didn’t want to jot down facts in her diary the way most people did.
Complete the sentences using the words or expressions used in the exercise above.
1. As soon as the captain was injured and he left the field, the home team conceded three
goals in give minutes. The fans hadn’t expected such an embarrassing ___________.
2. Hermant and I used to meet frequently when we were in school, but after school our
interactions have been ___________.
3. The doctors pushed through the ___________ of fans to reach the stage, where the singer
4. The robber hit the guard and tried to get away with the cash before he was ___________.
5. Now that I’m older, I feel that school provided me a ___________ from the harsh realities of
6. Preetika’s father ___________ a large bag on her study table.
7. The flyleaf of the book had this ___________: ‘To my brother Ebenezer on his fifth birthday.’
8. I quickly ___________ the doctor’s phone number and gave it to my friend.
9. We were ordered to ___________ our mobile phones before entering the examination hall.
Fill in the blanks with suitable determiners.
This is a new belt, but ___________ buckle has broken already.
Some of ___________ friends are coming home to meet my grandparents.
Can you see ___________ house next to mine? It belongs to a famous author.
I have ___________ urgent message to give to our class teacher. It’s from ___________ vice principal.
You may trust me and share with me ___________ secret of yours.
I have consulted a couple of doctors. I shall go to ___________ doctor tomorrow and take the decision.
Mr Dogra has ___________ ten days to think and tell his boss where he would like to be transferred.
I am sorry I can’t go for a movie with you on Sunday. I have ___________ plans.
Sushma felt sad that she didn’t have ___________ biscuits left to give to the dog.
I don’t like this restaurant. Is there ___________ place where we can go?
Shaheen, please close ___________ window you are sitting next to.
Varsha and Virat are fantastic theatre artistes. I simply adore ___________ acting.
Did Atul direct ___________ films in the last three years?
Since there was no headway in the talks, there will be ___________ round of detailed discussions tomorrow.
Write an essay on any of these proverbs.
1. The pen is mightier than the sword.
2. Actions speak louder than words.
3. Don’t judge a book by its cover.
4. Honesty is the best policy.
About the Author - Saturday, 20 June 1942 | The Magic Carpet | Class 8 Literature | English
The author of this text is Anne Frank, a German-Jewish girl who gained posthumous fame through the publication of "The Diary of a Young Girl." This diary documents her experiences hiding during the German occupation of the Netherlands in World War II. Anne was born on June 12, 1929, in Frankfurt, Germany, and her family emigrated to the Netherlands to escape the increasing persecution of Jews in Germany. Anne and her family hid in the Secret Annex in Amsterdam from 1942 to 1944 until they were discovered and deported to concentration camps. Anne tragically died of typhus in the Bergen-Belsen camp in 1945. Her diary serves as a significant historical testament and a poignant narrative of the Holocaust.
Vocabulary - Saturday, 20 June 1942 | The Magic Carpet | Class 8 Literature | English
Apprehended: Arrested or taken into custody.
The fugitive was apprehended by the police after a lengthy chase.
Concentration camp: A place where large numbers of people, especially prisoners of war or specific ethnic groups, are detained and subjected to harsh conditions.
During World War II, millions of innocent people were held captive in concentration camps under inhumane conditions.
Resorted: Turned to or made use of something in a time of need.
Unable to find a...................
We've got so much more in store, just for you! 🤩
Sign up to unlock Vocabulary and everything elseUnlock now 🔓