Unit 2 - My English Folder Workbook - Class 8 - English
Renews every month. Cancel anytime
Identify the tense of each of these sentences and write them in the blanks.
Grandma, Tina, Piya and Mala are on a trek. __________________
They are exploring a forest in Kerala. __________________
They have been walking uphill for three hours now. __________________
They are walking along the side of a stream. __________________
Their plan is to find the source of the stream. __________________
They have just crossed a big teak tree. __________________
They see a small village in the forest. __________________
The people of the village have been living in this forest for many years. __________________
Grandma introduces herself to the people. __________________
Grandma, Tina, Piya and Mala are having lunch with the people. __________________
Grandma, Tina, Piya and Mala are on a trek. Simple Present
They are exploring a forest in Kerala. Present Continuous
They have been walking uphill for three hours now. Present Perfect continuous
They are walking along the side of a stream. Present continuous
Their plan is to find the source of the stream. Simple Present
They have just crossed a big teak tree. Present Perfect
They see a small village in the forest. Simple Present
The people of the village have been living in this forest for many years. Present perfect continuous
Grandma introduces herself to the people. Simple present
Grandma, Tina, Piya and Mala are having lunch with the people. Present Continuous
Read the short paragraph and write the correct forms of the verbs given in brackets. The first one has been done for you.
Why __________________ (be) some of us scared of creatures like lizards, mice and spiders? Why __________________ (be) some of us not frightened of the same creatures? Our feelings do not always __________________ (make) sense, do they? It __________________ (be) strange that sometimes we __________________ (feel) scared of things that __________________ (be) not really dangerous. A small creature such as a mouse couldn’t hurt a person. Man __________________ (be) too big for a moue to harm. Yet, many people __________________ (scream) in fright when they __________________ (see) a tiny little mouse.
Fill in the blanks with the present continuous forms of the verbs given in the brackets.
- Saumya __________________ on her bed. (sleep)
- The boy __________________ his teeth. (brush)
- He __________________ his hair. (comb)
- They __________________ ready for school. (get)
- The boys __________________ at the bus stop for their school bus. (wait)
- Their uncle __________________ Political Science at the university. (Study)
Use the situations given below and make sentences in present perfect tense as shown.
Haya and Sahul got married in 2000. They’re still married.
Maya is in the washroom. An hour has gone by.
Smitha lived in Thrissur as a child. Now she lives in Cochin.
Neema can’t find her keys. She doesn’t know where they are. They are lost.
Fill in the blanks using the present perfect continuous forms of the verbs in brackets.
- An NGO ______________ (work) closely with the people of this city for many years.
- The members of this organization ______________ (spearhead) a movement to save tigers since 2005.
- The organization ______________ (try) to create awareness among the people of this city.
- But a controversy about some of the members ______________ (rage) for several months now.
- Some members ______________ (try) to persuade the ones involved in the controversy to give up their position in the organization.
- The members ______________ (discus) the matter for weeks now.
Do as directed. Fill in the blanks with the specified forms of the verbs in brackets.
- Aditya and Arya ______________ (wake) up early in the morning. (use simple present tense)
- Their uncle ______________ (stay) in their house for a few days. (use present continuous tense)
- He ______________ (work) in a software company in Cyber city. (use Simple present tense)
- He ______________ (do) an engineering course in a prestigious college. (use present perfect tense)
- Their family ______________ (live) in that apartment ever since they shifted to the city. (use present perfect continuous tense)
Use for/since and fill in the blanks.
Hemant has had poor eyesight ______________ his childhood. He ignored the problem ______________ some time. He has been using spectacles ______________ last week.
They haven’t gone to their hometown ______________ the past two months. His father hasn’t taken a single day’s leave ______________ the beginning of this month.
I haven’t contacted him ______________ Thursday. He hasn’t written to me ______________ a long time.
His grandparents have been living in their village ______________ their retirement from service. We have been planning to visit them ______________ quite some time now.
Complete the conversation using the correct tense of the verbs given in brackets.
Rhea: When ______________ your sister ______________ her professional course? (complete)
Rajan: Oh, she ______________ just ______________ her second last semester. (finish)
Rhea: ______________ she ______________ her stay at the hostel? (enjoy)
Rajan: Yeah, I ______________ (think) so. In fact, she ______________ used to it now. (get)