1 / 18
The cardboard shows me how it was When the two girl cousins went paddling, Each one holding one of my mother's hands, And she the big girl-some twelve years or so. a. Who is the speaker? What is he doing at the moment? b. Who is shown there? What are they doing? c. Why are the two girls holding the hand of the big girl? d. How old are the girls shown in the photograph? e. What is the relation of the poet with the girls? f. Give the meaning of 'paddling'.
2 / 18
All three stood still to smile through their hair. At the uncle with the camera. A sweet face, My mother's, that was before I was born. And the sea, which appears to have changed less, washed their terribly transient feet. a. What do 'all three' stand for here? b. What does 'I' stand for here? c. Who is the uncle in these lines? d. What does the sea appear to do to them? e. Explain 'smile through their hair'.
3 / 18
Some twenty - thirty - years later She'd laugh at the snapshot. "See Betty And Dolly," she'd say, "and look how they Dressed us for the beach." The sea holiday Was her past, mine is her laughter. Both wry With the laboured ease of loss. a. Who is 'She’ in these lines? b. Why would she laugh at the snapshot? c. Who did dress them for the beach? d. What were they doing at the beach? e. Give the meaning of the word 'wry'.
4 / 18
Now she's been dead nearly as many years As that girl lived. And of this circumstance There is nothing to say at all. Its silence silences. a. Who is 'that girl' referred to in these lines? b. What has happened to the girl? c. What does the poet mean to say 'of this circumstance there is nothing to say at all’? d. Explain 'Its silence silences'. e. Write the nouns of 'die' and 'live'.
5 / 18
A sweet face, My mother's, that was before I was born. And the sea, which appears to have changed less, Washed their terribly transient feet. a. What is the context of the stanza? b. Who is 'I' in these lines? c. What was the age and position of the mother described here?
6 / 18
What does the word ‘cardboard’ denote in the poem? Why has this word been used?
7 / 18
What has the camera captured?
8 / 18
What has not changed over the years? Does this suggest something to you?
9 / 18
The poet’s mother laughed at the snapshot. What did this laugh indicate?
10 / 18
What is the meaning of the line “Both wry with the laboured ease of loss”?
11 / 18
What does “this circumstances” refer to?
12 / 18
The three stanzas depict three different phases. What are they?
13 / 18
Quote two instances from the poem to show that the poet loved and liked her mother very much and misses her?
14 / 18
What moment does the photograph depict?
15 / 18
How does the poet’s past differ from her mother’s?
16 / 18
Briefly comment on the title ‘A Photograph?
17 / 18
The poet’s life is surrounded by silence after the death of her mother. What kind of characteristic has the poet adopted in her life and how far is she correct in this? Discuss.
18 / 18
What emotions does the poetess go through after seeing the photograph?
Search for lessons, videos, chapters, notes, articles, robots, and much more...
Searching all of human history for ""
What's it about?
The Class 11 English CBSE Core Course is a fully-loaded course curated especially for students of Class 11 English CBSE Core and includes Hornbill, Snapshots, reading, writing, and grammar. It is loaded with animated videos , detailed and original questions and answers, hundreds of HOTS questions along with their answers, and thousands of practice questions. And it doesn’t just cover literature, we cover reading, writing, and grammar too, so you never lag behind.
This course is regularly updated, because these are fickle times we live in. This course will always stay up to date with the CBSE curriculum and is even now in sync with it. We’ve updated our course to include thorough examinations of discursive passages, case-based passages, and the newly added value-based questions.
Here’s all that’s included in this course:
- Literature – All chapters from Hornbill & Snapshots.
- Grammar – All grammar topics prescribed by the latest CBSE syllabus.
- Reading – Includes in-depth explanations of both discursive and case-based passages.
- Writing - Ready-to-use templates for all writing topics including applications, letters, initiations,
What’s special about this course?
- The entire chapter is explained line-by-line with the help of whiteboard animations, characters, and videos, because if we want to hold your attention, it’s got to be more interesting than the book, and we promise you, it is.
- We’ve split the videos into bite-sized snippets so it’s easier for you to stay attentive for longer and understand and grasp the content explained better.
- The chapter has been brought to life by our founder, Meenu Sethi, who’s been educating for more than three decades, and has been applauded for her voice on YouTube (barring the creepy comments). She has a knack for explaining even the toughest of lines in the simplest of words, turning these chapter into bite-sized pieces of cake.
- Once you’ve watched and understood the chapter, you can then move on to these practice quizzes to test your understanding.
- The results are presented instantaneously, along with where you went wrong and what were the correct answer.
- Each lesson is accompanied by a practice quiz, so if you’ve just watched a 2-minute video, you can then jump on to the quiz and check if you’ve really understood the topic or did you space out.
- These quizzes have multiple choice questions, multiple answer questions, and fill in the blanks.
Summaries & Reading Materials
- In a hurry? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
- If you just want to understand the concept or brush up on your syllabus, these reading materials will be your best friend.
- All of the materials have been curated and proof-read, so they are all high-quality, well explained pieces to supplement your learning journey.
Questions & Answers
- All the literature chapters come with original and extremely thorough questions and answers.
- These include exercises present in the original books along with a ton of brand-new questions.
- These too have been split up for easy consumption, so after you’ve watched the video, attempted the quiz, and gone through the reading materials, you can go through these questions and answers to fully absorb the chapter.
- These are like plug-and-play hardware.
- All the topics in writing sections: formal and informal letters, applications, invitations can be hard to write from scratch every time, so we include easy-to-memorise templates crafted just for you.
- Just put in the words related to the topic and you have a letter or an application ready to go.
What if something’s missing?
We continuously strive to update our course as and when the curriculum is updated, but there might be times when we lag behind. With our “Request for Content” feature, you can now request for any missing or additional content right within your portal, and it’ll be delivered to your dashboard promptly.
I have a problem. Who can I contact?
What should I know before joining this course?
There are no pre-requisites for this course, but you should be able to read English. If this course covers your curriculum, you can join it even if you’ve never studied it before.
Who is this course for?
Every student of class 12 who studies English. This course is meant to take you from zero to hundred, so no matter where you are on your journey, whether you’re just starting or are an experienced learner, this course will help you build your knowledge and learn better and smarter.
Muskan JainApr 7, 2021
The best thing in the videos is when a line is being explained, it appears in the videoMuskan Jain - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Gorja GabaApr 7, 2021
The whole literature portion ( The NCERT exercises plus the extra questions ) are very useful. The writing formats for the whole year are available together so you can revise everyday to avoGorja Gaba - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Kajal ChaddhaApr 7, 2021
These videos are very helpful. The voice in videos is very clear and easy to understand. Complicated lines are very easily explained with examples. The graphics helps to remember instances fKajal Chaddha - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Hoshali MalhotraApr 7, 2021
This website has been my true savior as I have to go for my FIITJEE classes and I hardly can devote any time to attend any kind of regular tuitions. But on this website all my tensions cameHoshali Malhotra - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Joy ChopraApr 7, 2021
Presently I am studying in 11th standard in Amity International School and I have been studying at Meenu Sethi's English institute since i was in 6th standard. I am very happy and satisfiedJoy Chopra - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Sourav AggarwalApr 7, 2021
Really, Meenu Mam's online videos are a great help to me in studies. Each and every topic of English is explained very well and most importantly in Hindi which makes the chapter easy to undeSourav Aggarwal - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Kulyash MoudgilApr 7, 2021
Today i will tell you a simple and easy way to score good marks in English. For that just join WWW. EnglishChatterbox.Com. The website provides Hindi explanation of chapters. It provides forKulyash Moudgil - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Arjun AroraApr 7, 2021
I am ,Arjun Arora ,of Bal Bharti Public School. I am fully fascinated by the website. the main benefit I got from website is that anything I could not understand in class I could easily undeArjun Arora - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Divyangna KhannaApr 7, 2021
I have been studying in Meenu Ma'am's institute since I was in class IV. This year new web support that we have been provided has helped me and other students a lot. Even when we miss a clasDivyangna Khanna - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?