A Tiger In The Zoo
1 / 14
He stalks in his vivid stripes The few steps of his cage, On pads of velvet quiet, In his quiet rage. a. Name the poem and the poet. b. Why could the tiger walk only a few steps? c. How does the tiger move in the cage? d. What do you mean by ‘vivid’? e. Why is he in quiet rage? f. Give synonyms to ‘rage’. g. Why is the tiger angry? h. Explain ‘On pads of velvet quiet’.
2 / 14
He should be lurking in shadow, Sliding through long grass, Near the water hole Where the plump deer pass. a. Where should the tiger be lurking? b. What should he wait for near the water hole? c. Where is the tiger now? d. What does ‘plump deer’ suggest? e. Give an antonym of ‘plump’
3 / 14
He should be snarling around houses At the jungle's edge, Baring his white fangs, his claws Terrorising the village! a. Where should the tiger be snarling? b. Who should he be terrorizing? c. Where was he? d. How do humans conduct themselves? e. What does the poet try to suggest through these lines? f. How does the tiger scare the people? g. What is the meaning of fangs? h. Why does he ‘snarl’? i. How does ‘he’ show his presence? j. Find out a word from the stanza which means the same as ‘growling’
4 / 14
But he's locked in a concrete cell, His strength behind bars, Stalking the length of his cage, Ignoring visitors. a. Where is the tiger? b. Where is tiger’s strength? c. Why does he ignore visitor? d. What contrast poet has brought? e. Why do visitors come here? f. The expression ‘stalking the length of the cage’ implies.
5 / 14
He hears the last voice at night, The patrolling cars, And stares with his brilliant eyes At the brilliant stars. a. What voice does the tiger hear at night? b. Where does the tiger look? c. Do you think the tiger is happy? d. What do you mean by ‘patrolling’.
6 / 14
How does a tiger create terror for the villagers?
7 / 14
Leslie Norris has described some of the activities of a tiger behind the bars of its cage. Write them.
8 / 14
Describe the tiger in the cage.
9 / 14
Describe the tiger in the wild.
10 / 14
What is the significance of ‘should be’?
11 / 14
Why should tiger snarl?
12 / 14
Find the words that describe the movements and action of the tiger in the cage and in the wild. Arrange them in two columns.
13 / 14
Find the words that describe the two places, and arrange them in two columns.
14 / 14
Notice the use of a word repeated in lines such as these: (i) On pads of velvet quiet, In his quiet rage. (ii) And stares with his brilliant eyes At the brilliant stars.
A Tiger In The Zoo
Search for lessons, videos, chapters, notes, articles, robots, and much more...
Searching all of human history for ""
What's it about?
The Class 10 English CBSE Language and Literature - The Complete A-Z Course is a fully-featured course for students of Class 10 English NCERT Language & Literature and includes Footprints Without Feet, First Flight, grammar, reading and writing. It includes hundreds of animated videos , detailed and original questions and answers, hundreds of HOTS questions along with their answers, and thousands of practice questions. And it doesn’t just cover literature, we cover reading, writing, and grammar too, so you never lag behind.
This course is regularly updated, because these are fickle times we live in. This course will always stay up to date with the CBSE curriculum and is even now in sync with it. We’ve updated our course to include thorough examinations of discursive passages, case-based passages, and the newly added value-based questions.
Here’s all that’s included in this course:
- Literature – All chapters from Footprints without Feet & First Flight.
- Grammar – All grammar topics prescribed by the latest CBSE syllabus.
- Reading – Includes in-depth explanations of both discursive and case-based passages.
- Writing - Ready-to-use templates for all writing topics including applications, letters, initiations,
What’s special about this course?
- The entire chapter is explained line-by-line with the help of whiteboard animations, characters, and videos, because if we want to hold your attention, it’s got to be more interesting than the book, and we promise you, it is.
- We’ve split the videos into bite-sized snippets so it’s easier for you to stay attentive for longer and understand and grasp the content explained better.
- The chapter has been brought to life by our founder, Meenu Sethi, who’s been educating for more than three decades, and has been applauded for her voice on YouTube (barring the creepy comments). She has a knack for explaining even the toughest of lines in the simplest of words, turning these chapter into bite-sized pieces of cake.
- Once you’ve watched and understood the chapter, you can then move on to these practice quizzes to test your understanding.
- The results are presented instantaneously, along with where you went wrong and what were the correct answer.
- Each lesson is accompanied by a practice quiz, so if you’ve just watched a 2-minute video, you can then jump on to the quiz and check if you’ve really understood the topic or did you space out.
- These quizzes have multiple choice questions, multiple answer questions, and fill in the blanks.
Summaries & Reading Materials
- In a hurry? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
- If you just want to understand the concept or brush up on your syllabus, these reading materials will be your best friend.
- All of the materials have been curated and proof-read, so they are all high-quality, well explained pieces to supplement your learning journey.
Questions & Answers
- All the literature chapters come with original and extremely thorough questions and answers.
- These include exercises present in the original books along with a ton of brand-new questions.
- These too have been split up for easy consumption, so after you’ve watched the video, attempted the quiz, and gone through the reading materials, you can go through these questions and answers to fully absorb the chapter.
- These are like plug-and-play hardware.
- All the topics in writing sections: formal and informal letters, applications, invitations can be hard to write from scratch every time, so we include easy-to-memorise templates crafted just for you.
- Just put in the words related to the topic and you have a letter or an application ready to go.
What if something’s missing?
We continuously strive to update our course as and when the curriculum is updated, but there might be times when we lag behind. With our “Request for Content” feature, you can now request for any missing or additional content right within your portal, and it’ll be delivered to your dashboard promptly.
I have a problem. Who can I contact?
What should I know before joining this course?
There are no pre-requisites for this course, but you should be able to read English. If this course covers your curriculum, you can join it even if you’ve never studied it before.
Who is this course for?
Every student of class 12 who studies English. This course is meant to take you from zero to hundred, so no matter where you are on your journey, whether you’re just starting or are an experienced learner, this course will help you build your knowledge and learn better and smarter.
Arjun AnandApr 7, 2021
Itâ€™s a new and interesting experience for me. By watching the videos I understand the chapters really well. And the question answer helps me to understand the chapter in an even betteArjun Anand - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Raghav GuptaApr 7, 2021
I had never heard of anything being explained so interestingly. I am not very fond of sitting and studying for long hours but the visuals in videos kept me glued. Thanks English chatterbox.Raghav Gupta - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Umang JainApr 7, 2021
# Website helps me if i miss a class # It is useful as i can open it at any place and anytime. # It is convenient to use.Umang Jain - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Jayaditaya LuthraApr 7, 2021
I found Meenu Sethi's English Chatterbox website really helpful because whenever I miss a class I see Videos on it and whenever i don't understand a poem I see it because mam translates theJayaditaya Luthra - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Vansh NarulaApr 7, 2021
I shall assert that this website is a perfect path which leads to success in the subject of English. I can confidently suggest this website to anyone if he/she wVansh Narula - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Abhinav GuptaApr 7, 2021
I have been using the website for quite sometime. I have seen many videos on the website. They are quite useful to us. If incase the class couldnÍ›t be takenAbhinav Gupta - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Adarsh SomaniApr 7, 2021
The website is very useful as in many schools novel is assigned as homework. You can learn the chapter and acquire knowledge from it. In case if I miss out any of the class I can watch on itAdarsh Somani - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Tia RaizadaApr 7, 2021
It is a website which has helped me a lot. The translations in Hindi help me understand the chapters better. All the topics in Literature and novel are explained in detail. To add to it theTia Raizada - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Arshia MehtaApr 7, 2021
This Website is very engaging and motivating. I feel glad to be a part of this. It helps you to improve your grammar and work on your literature part. This makes writing section very interesArshia Mehta - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Sarthak KapoorApr 7, 2021
It is really convenient. It could be accessed anywhere and can be used to achieve your desired result. The videos are really easy to understand as it is in Hindi and is also accompanied witSarthak Kapoor - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Sahaj GargApr 7, 2021
The videos on the website do not help instill a basic understanding of literature, novel and grammar topic but even helps to focus on some small and intricate details which are of high signiSahaj Garg - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Krishna ChawlaApr 7, 2021
1) The website is very useful 2) The language is simple and understandable. 3) It is very interesting to see and learn. 4) I really love to listen all the chapters here. 5) Even the graphicsKrishna Chawla - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Jashan SinghApr 7, 2021
I think this website is the best way for revising all the chapters and topics of grammar. It could help those students who are not able to learn and understand some topics in their class, caJashan Singh - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Muskan GuptaApr 7, 2021
English Chatterbox is quite useful as it helps to understand the whole content easily. The translation and the pictures related to the content. It gives idea to the children to visualize whaMuskan Gupta - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?
Abhishek SethiApr 7, 2021
The website helped me to learn the chapters and novel easily. It also improved my grammar which is used to be wrong most of the time. It helped me to understand anything in English which I wAbhishek Sethi - Verified PurchaseWas this helpful?